Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Living in hell because Jesus asked him to

So I'm at this conference over new years called the World Missions Summit. Piles of people from around the world all in one place. You know, a conference. Well, one of the keynote speakers was a surprise for us. His turn comes around and he's introduced and I'd never heard of him. It's sad too because I read the news a lot and the people we hear about all the time should actually be listening to and deferring to guys like this. And I don't even remember his name. He'd probably like it that way too.

He's a pastor in Baghdad.

Under Saddam he led a Christian church in his house and hoped to stay under the radar of the secret police. He didn't. They arrested him and with a death sentence on his life he was thrown into a 7x8 foot isolation cell with six or eight other tribal leaders from around Iraq with similar sentences. They were there for months. No windows. Not enough food. No toilet. No light.

He didn't say much about it, lets just say he and his suite mates weren't treated so well.

While sitting in a room so dark he couldn't see his own hand he began meeting the men with him. After much prayer (and hearing them pray to Allah) he began talking to them about God and faith and Jesus and being where they were. Over the months the prayers of the other men shifted from 'Allahu Akbar!' to 'Jesus...' This guy wasn't trying to convert people, he was just doing his best to love the guys sitting with him in their collection of finely aged feces. And in the darkness and the stink Jesus became real to these guys.

The day before the US invaded Iraq, Saddam opened the doors to the prisons and everyone just walked out. No directions, no showers, no nothing. Just go. So they did. And he wouldn't go home for fear of forever scarring his children with the sight of him. Somehow he found a bath and some cleaner clothes and made his way to his house where his family didn't believe it was him standing at the door; they thought he was still in prison or dead.

And I'm sitting there listening to this humble nobody who still pastors a church in Baghdad, who refuses to leave because even if it means living in hell itself he will only go where Jesus has asked him to go. Sometimes I think Baghdad might just be hell. And he refuses to leave because he loves the people too much. One of the 20 year old women in his church, one of his leaders, so loved her people she chose not to marry so she could better serve other Iraqis. Then she was killed in an attack on one of the markets. But he loves the people too much. The sacrifice is worth it.

I can't help but wonder what might happen in places like Baghdad if the people who are in charge took the time to listen to guys like this who bear the literal scars of love and faithfulness, who aren't in it for the political power but for their love for the people.

4 comments:

emily said...

that's pretty powerful. makes me want to tell myself to shut the heck up when I start complaining about whatever it is I complain about.

Jeremy said...

No kidding. I left wondering if I actually know Jesus. I can't help but wonder what would happen if even a few people began living and loving the way this guy does, sacrificing everything because Jesus has asked him to and doing it joyfully.

For me it was even more poignant since this year has been one where I have had to choose to do my job as a pastor because my vision and dreams for it ceased to exist. Not that I think I'm in the wrong job, this is what Jesus asked me to do. Nor that I don't love my crew, I totally do. I'm just fried. But then this guy annihilates with one of his small stories any of my biggest struggles.

It's both encouraging and disheartening at the same time. Encouraging that others have seen much worse and Jesus was right in it with them. Disheartening because I don't see Jesus in it with me (even though I believe He is).

Bill McCready said...

Be encouraged, just because Jesus doesn't ask you to live in Hell for a few years doesn't mean you don't love Him. I had a friend do a few years in jail for vehicular manslaughter. He said: some Christians need to thank God for what He's saved them out of, and some need to thank Him for what He's saved them from.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless His Holy Name.

Jeremy said...

Thanks Bill.